HR Support for Business provides HR support, advise and HR resources locally across Oxfordshire and Warwickshire (read more).
And to any business who operate under English law through our HR Virtual Service (read more).
A fair and legal process is, however, only half the story. Your managers need the people management skills to manage sickness absence in your business. Whilst nobody want someone who is too ill to come to work, sickness absences are a business cost and need to be proactively managed.
This is where training can help by giving your managers the skills, knowledge and ability to deal with both short term persistent absences outside your business’s acceptable level. And manage the longer term absences that can occur in a business.
Consistently and in adherence to a fair and legal process.
What is the cost of sickness absence on your business?
£29 Billion. That was the reported cost of sickness absence to UK businesses. Whilst nobody can help being sick, for a business, sickness absence is a direct business cost and must be proactively managed.
Equally ‘presenteeism’, or the unfit attending work, can lead to costly errors and impact on continued health and safety.
The true cost of absence is often an unseen. Unplanned absences can cause stress on other team members, mistakes to occur, loss of orders or reduced productivity.
As every business needs to manage and reduce costs, this will give a management team the tools, confidence and capability to proactively manage this cost.
Or scroll down and see what our Management training program offers:
The training program and what you will learn
This one day training programme gives a manager the knowledge and interpersonal skills to have the confidence to proactively manage and reduce sickness absence.
We can bespoke to your existing HR Management System (following a compliance check), or we will include free of charge the required elements from the HR Toolkit for Managing Sickness Absences from our HR support resource HR Compliance in a Box.
We will focus on the process, the law and the key interpersonal and management skills needed to effectively manage absence. We will look at:
Types of, and business cost of, absence
- The cost of planned versus unplanned absence and the cost of presenteeism
- Cost of sickness absence long term and short term
- Impact on performance and health and safety and the cost to the overall business.
- Statutory and discretionary contractual pay – the law
- The Equality Act – disability and the need for reasonable adjustment. Employment Rights Act, and your duties under HASaWA 74
- The law and consistency. Reducing risk by understanding and working within the law governing different types of sickness absence and the need for consistency
- Capability dismissals. Short term and long term.
Need to monitor types of absence
- Procedure to manage short term and long term absence
- The business need to measure absence, set trigger points, use of the Bradford Factor, Lost time rate, frequency rate, absence trends and attendance indicators,
- Health surveillance, risk assessments and health.
- Operational need for notification and process to keep in touch
- Using Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) and Company sick pay schemes and the need for the latter to be contractually discretionary. When you can withhold either payments.
- Using and understanding the HR management procedure to manage absence
- Overview of the Capability procedure in managing absence. Review the term and scope of reasonable adjustments, disability and your duty
- Conduct not capability. How to manage absence without authorisation, non-genuine absence, or breaches of the absence procedures
- The effective use of the Back to Work interview model in managing costs of absence and your duty of care. Knowing when to move to a formal capability meeting
- The effective use of the Capability model in managing unacceptable absence
- Overview of the underpinning interpersonal skills and communication model to effectively hold either absence management model
- Terminating employment due to capability
- Understanding the often unseen cost of absence to a team’s performance, safety, health and to the overall business and the cost of presenteeism
- Use of the fit note, obtaining and use of external medical advice
Part two – An overview of managing longer term absences and disabilities
- Managing capability issues due to longer term illness or disability.
- Understanding and using the Capability procedure, the law, the scope, your role and responsibility
- Use of the Fit Note and obtaining and use of external medical advice
- The role of external medical experts and occupational health and outside bodies
- Understanding and implementing short term or longer team reasonable adjustments and legal reasonable adjustments as required under the Equality Act (disabilities)
- Managing dismissals due to longer term physical or mental capability and recognised disabilities.
We will work as a team and hold a back to work interview based on test cases.
Including when to cease the interview and refer to the Capability procedure.
We will look at:
- One for short term absence where the level of absence is acceptable
- One for short term absence where the level of absence is not acceptable
- One for a person returning to work after a longer period of ill health, including reasonable adjustments and risk assessment.
A team overview and questions of what has been learned during the day
Total cost: £600 which can cover up to 10 delegates (just £60 per person), plus travel at cost. Training program delivered at your premises.